Chana Masala Indian Vegan Recipe
Here is a vegan recipe for Chana Masala, a popular North Indian dish made with chickpeas in a spicy tomato-based sauce.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 green chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chili (if using) and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked chickpeas and salt to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add a splash of water.
- Simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until the chickpeas are heated through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
This Chana Masala recipe is flavorful, healthy, and easy to make. You can adjust the spices to your liking and serve it with rice, naan, or flatbread. Enjoy!
Leave a Comment